Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stephanie's checkup

Now, you know this is brave of me to post this dopy looking photo of myself on the internet! I haven't mastered a smile yet because my face is so numb. You wouldn't believe what a difference that makes! It's hard for me to accurately predict what my facial expression looks like.

I went to my surgeon for my weekly checkup today, and he said everything looks like I'm healing great and my teeth are lining up wonderfully. Unfortunately my endurance has not really improved much this week, which has been frustrating/concerning to me, but he gave me confirmation that my recovery looks completely normal. I was concerned about side effects from the 1 prescription medication that I'm still taking for the purpose of keeping me from clenching my teeth in my sleep, and we're going to try reducing the dose to see if it reduces my "hung over" feeling. Now I'm ready for my body to get my hormones back to normal because Dr. Wolford thinks my adolescent acne resurgance is due to the stress and resulting hormone changes after major surgery. The way he said it sounded like it happens to some people but not everyone. Oh lucky me. I thought it was due to the medication, but he didn't think so. Dr. Wolford removed all tape from my nose today, so I guess crooked or not this is the nose that I'm stuck with:) I'm just kidding. You can micro assess anyone and realize that no one is perfectly symmetrical, and I think my nose looks fine. This afternoon I took full advantage of a regular shower putting my face directly in the spray. It was a little uncomfortable with my face having all kinds of strange sensations but well worth it to get 3+ weeks of grunge off my nose and cheeks!!! Now the only outward trace of my surgery are small scars, hidden neatly by old chicken pox scars and my current acne outbreak, and my lisp from the splint still in my mouth. Dr. Wolford says he will take the splint out of my mouth next week! Yea, I'm ready to get rid of that nuisance!! I have some swelling in my cheeks, especially on the right, but the bulk of it is gone and the rest will take a few months to fully go away. I appreciate the little things in life, like being able to blow my nose again (even if I have to do it in a specific delicate and private fashion.) Last week I had rubberbands all over my mouth including right in the front, and I've been reduced to two in the back now. I even go back to the orthodontist next week, in addition to Dr. Wolford.



Here's a Camille's funny for the night. When Matt brought Camille and Lily in from school I had the supper that my mom prepared on the plates at the table ready for them. So, after washing her hands Camille came and sat down next to me at the table. I asked her if she noticed anything different about me. In deep concentration she quickly remarked that the tape is gone from my nose and then she looked into my mouth and said "and you don't have any more ponytails." (i.e. rubberbands). Cute, huh?

Lily seemed fine tonight until bath time when we took off her pants. She looked down at her leg and started pointing to her bandaid (from her shot this morning) and crying. I did the quick bandaid removal, and she pretty much enjoyed her bath. She intermittantly referred to her "boo boo" whining and pointing. After the bath she really started crying. We got some Tylenol, which amazingly takes effect immediately--go figure. I asked her if she wanted a bandaid for her boo boo and she nodded and said "uh-huh." Camille chose the perfect Carebear bandaid but when we laid her down to put on the bandaid, she thought it was shot time all over again and started in screaming her head off. Oops! We got her calmed down and then I offered her the bandaid as a "sticker" peace offering to put on her tummy, but she wanted no part of that evil bandaid! We did put plenty of regular stickers on paper later.

No comments: